Nov 30, 2013

Secretary $1 update

I decided to change out my cabinet just a little.
I found some new shelf paper at my local $ store and spray painted the handles black, then sanded a little with steel wool,  and look at the difference!


Finally accomplished one of my BIG projects!

(Not sure what is going on with my cameras, but they are not focusing well, sorry.)
Still want to add some dim lighting in the top glassed area,
and
maybe an embossed designed on front of drop down door, or make it a chalk board or ?? (tutorial later when I do)
 I thought this was a secretary because of the drop down desk thingy, but actually, I was told it is probably an older liquor cabinet! circa 1950-1970
Makes sense, with the formica on the back of the drop down, to prevent liquid damage, the drop down kinda high for a desk, oh well!
 I was inspired by Suzan's Armoir http://suzyq-vintagous.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-lion-witch-wardrobe-before-after.html
I even made up my own blue/gray/lavender chalk paint from gray ooops paint!
 I decided I wanted a punch of color when I opened the doors!
Some more ooops paint in pinkish purple did the trick! (Made it chalk paint too)

DIY chaulk paint recipe
1 cup paint (my own mix of oopps, satin finish)
2 Tbl white non sanded grout
little bit of water
(mixed the grout with water, then added to paint - had to add water if it got too thick as time progressed)
Brushed and used little rollers. 2 coats.

Then I decided to add some shelf paper I had on stock (originally bought at $1 store!)
This was the first run (Pink floral) 
Was ok, but not really the look I wanted, right now,
(my family said it looked old ladyish! )

Goes to show how easily it will be to change this out at my whim!
Also, can use wrapping paper, scrapbook paper, fabric!, or stenciling!  
Close up of distress and antiquing - little bit of inside pink popping out.
For the Antiquing and Distressing: I bought some SC Johnson paste wax, (it's softer than the Minwax I usually use, and sorry, but cheaper than others - does smell, and need to have good ventilation when using it!)  scooped some in a little container, tinted it with some of my black acrylic paint, and brushed it on, wiped, and then sanded lightly.

5-21-2013 Ok, it's not what you think.  But this ugly, albatross of a secretary is in need of a lot of beautification, so I have finally started on it.

I'm wasnt sure what I really wanted to do to it, so I started with priming it.
Did not prime any more of it, before using my own DIY chaulk paint.


But, hey for $20 this baby is gonna turn in to a Beauty!

Hugs & Smiles, T

Linking up to these great parties!





14 comments:

  1. Hey T. Just a few ideas. The back wall you could cover it with wall paper or use a bright bold paint color that goes with your place. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out amazing Theresa - I LOVE it - and thanks so much for the shout out!!!!!!!!!
    I love that pop of pink when you open the doors - beautiful job!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzan, I love it!! My pleasure to share your inspiring, gorgeous work! It's going to be my desk/office storage cabinet, so that pink pop will make me smile when I open it! THANK you for the inspiration and sharing!! Hugs & Smiles!!

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a transformation! And for $20?! You did great. Take care - Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn! I love it!! Yes, I used ooops paint and $1 store shelf paper, so kept it cheap! YAY!!! I am going to go check out your site too! Hugs!

      Delete
  4. My goodness, that is an amazing makeover. Theresa, you must be so happy with this! Thank you for sharing and inspiring us. Will you come to our party again later today?? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose! I sure will check it out!! Hugs, Theresa

      Delete
  5. Wow! That is just so great. Love how you have updated this piece. I would have so much fun organizing things in this. :D Thanks for sharing on BeColorful this week.
    p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I'm loving being organized, well, trying! hehe!! Hugs! Thanks for hosting a great party!

      Delete
  6. Wow, this looks amazing - you definitely saw the diamond in the rough! Beautiful colors! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thank you Kathy! I do love it!! Kids think I should sell it, but I don't think I can! haha Thank you for hosting a great party! Hugs, Theresa

      Delete
  7. Hi there! I found your blog from the Pinterest Linky Party! This definitely looks amazing. I'm all about finding ways to reuse or revamp something old if it can be used again. This is a great idea. I pinned it to my DIY/Crafts board. I hope you're enjoying your weekend! :)

    XoXo,
    Brittnei
    http://homemakingwithstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you so much Brittnei! I will go check out your blog too!! Thank you again for your comments!! Hugs & Smiles, Theresa

      Delete

Love to hear from you!

Pin It button on image hover